1.28.2010

Howard Zinn


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/27/howard-zinn-dead-author-o_n_439350.html

Howard Zinn died of a heart attack yesterday at the age of 87. I never saw him in person but he profoundly impacted my view of our times, our world. I may not have agreed with everything he said, but everything he said and wrote made me pause and think.

It is fitting to quote from his speech from 2005 at Spelman College which had fired him back in 1963.

My hope is that whatever you do to make a good life for yourself -- whether you become a teacher, or social worker, or business person, or lawyer, or poet, or scientist -- you will devote part of your life to making this a better world for your children, for all children. My hope is that your generation will demand an end to war, that your generation will do something that has not yet been done in history and wipe out the national boundaries that separate us from other human beings on this earth.

No comments: